Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Counting My Blessings...

It has been quite a summer.

It started off kind of lazy and quiet...swimming...hanging out. And then BAM, things got a little crazy. Some of it was good. A lot of it was bad. And now here I sit at the end of the summer, the new school year about to begin and I feel a little overwhelmed, like I haven't slept in weeks, stressed, worried...you name it.

You see, this summer also included the finalizing of Natalie's adoption in Malaysia which required visits from Social Workers who went over our house and our lives with a fine tooth comb.

Then we decided quite suddenly to move to a new, bigger home but only had 3 days to pack, move, and unpack.

Then I took a very fast, whirlwind trip to the U.S.. And while I was there, John was in a terrible motorcycle accident which  left him with over 40 stitches in his head and a broken neck.

By the time I got back from the U.S. (having to say good-bye to people who mean a lot to me), it was time to go back to work.

So I sat in our opening staff meeting this morning, feeling a little sorry for myself. Poor me, no rest. Poor me, too much stress. And then one of my colleagues started playing guitar and singing this one song and the words really hit me.

I have so many blessings in my life. Yes, the adoption was stressful but I have a beautiful daughter now!! Yes, the move was stressful but I have a beautiful home now. Yes, the trip was stressful but I learned a lot about myself from it. Yes, John's accident was awful but he is alive and NOT paralyzed and will make a full recovery. Yes, it is already time to go back to work but I have a fabulous job with people I love.

So the pity party is over and I am ready to take on a new year and I know God is watching over my family through all of it...the good and the bad.

Blessed Be Your Name
In the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name

Blessed Be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your name

Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's 'all as it should be'
Blessed be Your name


Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say
Blessed be the name of the Lord

3 comments:

  1. I can relate to your post, though our life circumstances are vastly different. Praying that your dh recovers quickly and that this year holds more of God's blessings for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that your hubby is recovering. Thanks for sharing. You've reminded me to take my eyes off the negative and look towards the positive in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a timely word, Heather. That song has always meant a lot to me, and to be reminded of it today brought tears to my eyes. I visited your blog right in the middle of one of my own pity parties, thinking negative thoughts like, "How am I EVER going to survive the endless trip from GA to OH...which Yahoo says will take 11 hrs., but in reality will probably take at least 15 hrs....and worse yet, if our plans fall through and I have to be one of the drivers, how will I handle the stress of navigating the scary interstate, esp. in my pregnant condition?" Then, there's the fact that I started our homeschool year this week and discovered that someone apparently stole my 7-yr-old's brain over the summer and replaced it with an endless supply of tears. And the list goes on. Waaaah. Waaaah. Woe is me. :-( But, you reminded me that I have a beautiful house and loving family awaiting me in OH...and a good, strong vehicle to get us there. And, I have privilege of educating my own kids...and even if it sometimes feels more like a curse, I'm thankful to have them with me. So, I'm taking a deep breath and singing, "Blessed be your name," and facing life with a smile. :-)

    ReplyDelete